Monday, July 14, 2014

wirasldkjfh laksjdfh ldkjfhldsjfkasdfh {word vomit}

Hey all!
The title pretty much describes how I feel about this week! holy cow! it was NUTS, and we worked HARD.
We had some awesome moments amidst all the crazystressfulnutsinesaneness this week!
First off- we had no car for 2 days because it was in the shop! (soooooo much walking. also- the car was fine. just some visual damage from previous missionaries.) Monday morning we dropped it off, then went with the paterson sisters to do shopping and emailing and everything- and we got dropped off in lyndhurst after P-day was done for an appointment. On our way home (which took way too long- we left at 8 and got home a little before 9:30) we stopped to visit with this young woman sitting on the corner. We start talking to her a little bit and we said something that she really connected with, and we were able to comfort her and help her. It was an incredible contact- and a miracle as well, as she niether works nor lives in our area- she was visiting someone. It was amazing to talk to her and to know that Heavenly Father directed us to her.

Tuesday was Zone training! It was so cool to see the new monthly focus and what President Taggart wants us to work on and his vision to move this mission forward. We also did a "live" roleplay (first time I've done one of those in a training meeting) - the zone leaders sent everyone into downtown Paterson and had us contact using soul-searching/inspired questions. It was an adventure for sure! We had some crazy contacts and one really solid contact that was super awesome- and he was peruvian-italian. (SO COOL) and he, of course, wasn't in our area. (seems to happen to 90 percent of the people we find. but that's okay.)
After the training meeting we actually went on a baby exchange in the other sisters' area so I could help Sister Webb teach a deaf investigator... then he wasn't home. Sis. Shiman and Sis. Hindman taught a lesson though, when they went out contacting! (Sis. Webb and I were spazzing a little because we couldn't find them and they weren't answering their phone. I felt like I lost my kid in a store. holy cow. but everything's all okay now. we probably overreacted a little bit- but it's our COMPANIONs we can't just lose them! )

Wednesday we had our "meet the taggarts" meeting. it was really fun, and it was so awesome to get to hear from them and get to know their family. President and Sister Taggart have 6 kids, and their two youngest are here with them. They are all amazing and really funny and they are incredible. I'm so excited! :D
After the meeting we went on exchanges- so I was in Caldwell with Sister Shearer (super awesome and cute missionary)
However, Sister Shiman and Sister Dahl had an adventure- Heavenly Father guided them to a super prepared woman by doing something with the GPS. It did its wierd glitchy thingy and led them to where her car was parked. Heavenly Father truly works miracles! I got to meet her this week, and she truly is prepared! Another new investigator! Yes! (she understands spanish better though, so she will be taught by the spanish elders)

thursday was exchanging back (yay!) and part of weekly planning. (i don't know why i mention that every week. it takes up a significant portion of the week so I guess that's why. I like weekly planning, even though it takes 3+ hours) Friday we finished planning and had some visits and nothing too terribly exciting happened. (or i can't remember if it did...) Saturday we cleaned up our apartment in preparation for an open house on Sunday (the landlord is selling the house) then went out to lunch with our landlord, Pat. She is super cool- I love Pat soo much. She took us to Greek Town- where we had gyros. so good! then we went and helped out one of the branch members who is moving, and taught a young boy in our branch who has finished the Book of Mormon in the last 6 months by himself and is getting ready to be baptized... next year! he's only 7! he's super cool. his family is the best- the Valdez's. oh goodness. they make me laugh! it was around this time that the Branch president sent us a text asking if either one of us had ever spoken in Sacrament meeting. (best text ever) so we got to speak in Sacrament meeting yesterday! I enjoyed it. (news flash! Sister Richmond enjoys (or at least- doesn't detest) public speaking! and guess what- she's moved past the squeaking/crying anxiety-ness of public speaking too. it's awesome #neverthoughtthatwouldhappen) So that went really well on Sunday. I talked about Consecration. It was really cool to prepare for it- lots of different things came out for me. One of the verses I found was Doctrine and Covenants 88:67-68:
"And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.
Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will."
Having our eye single to the Glory of God is being consecrated- turning over our time, energy, efforts, even our very will to Heavenly Father. That is what being consecrated is. How we get there- that's another adventure (: but that's where verses like Alma 17:2-3* come in- doing those things every day to help us come closer to Heavenly Father. Things like praying, reading, attending church, obedience... etc.

The thing I loved about these verses in Doctrine and covenants is the promises we receive when we are consecrated- there shall be no darkness in us, we will comprehend all things. We will see Him, at some future date when He wills it to happen. We will understand the mysteries of God. This light vs. dark symbolism could mean the Light of Christ, if you will- the Holy Spirit's influence. (Different than the Gift of the Holy Ghost. for details on that, I refer you to chapter 4 of your handy-dandy Preach my Gospel)

I love you, I love this Gospel, and I love my Savior.
I KNOW that this gospel is true. I know that through my Savior and Redeemer I can overcome all of the things- the pains, sicknesses, afflictions, sins...(Alma 7:11-13**) that have happened/are happening/will happen. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ- that same gospel He Himself taught when he lived on the earth two millenia ago- has been restored to the earth, and that it is taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that prayer works.  I know that the priesthood is real.

I share my testimony with you as His missionary. and I close in His holy name- even Jesus Christ. Amen.

Love Always,
Sister Richmond

*you can press on the reference to go to that chapter in the Book of Mormon, or here is what it says:
 2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.
**again, you can press the reference and it will take you to the scripture or here is the text:
 11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
 13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment