Monday, July 7, 2014

Storm adventures, the 4th and getting EATEN ALIVE!

Hey all! I hope you had a great week, and that you got to do something fun for the 4th! whoo!

This week has been a crazy one! Monday we went to Mix (froyo place that does wraps and salads too) with a member- that was super yummy! Then we went and visited less actives- we came to this apartment complex where 2 of the people on our list lived. We tried the first doorbell, nothing, then we went and visited the other. she was out on the porch chatting with her friend, so we got to talk to her a little bit and say hi. We were then heading back to our car, when Sis. Shiman tries the first door again, this time knocking super loud. and someone answered the door!! We were invited right in and we were able to talk with them and get to know them. They are incredible! We've visited with them a couple of times this week, and they have mentioned that they had been praying to get back on the path and then we knocked on their door. Those are seriously the best moments ever- that we are that messenger to answer prayers. #alwaysknock

Tuesday we had district meeting- AWESOME. and then we met with a less active that hasn't come to church in 10 years. We talked with her and got to know her, and understand why she hasn't been to church. She is still a firm believer, and we were able to commit her to come to church this past Sunday- and come she did! it was awesome! #thechurchistrue

Wednesday we did lots of service! it was super fun. we helped get groceries for an older sister in our branch who is going in for surgery today, and we helped another sister do some garden work- spreading mulch and weeding. Wednesday night was the fun one- there was a thunderstorm right over Rutherford. We got finished with dinner and we were heading to an appt, but niether one of us felt too good about being out in this storm where we can literally hear the crack of the lightning, and the thunder pretty much immediately follows. We head back to our apt and do some work on our area map and things, then we head out again when the storm had passed a little bit. Come to find out, there was a lightning strike right where we would have been driving- the street was being closed, and there was an electrical fire happening down the street. We were definitely grateful we turned around and went back in! We also lost power that night, right at the beginning of planning- so we got to do planning by flashlight, haha. and it was a little toasty in our apt, but not too bad. #planninglikepros

speaking of toasty- HOLY COW THE WEATHER IS SO HOOOOOOOOT. It's been in the 90's for a good part of the week, and then it stormed for 2 days... not sure which is better! I was super glad when it got down to 75 though, between the storms. that is perfect.  Humidity is another fun adventure, hahaha. It's always great walking out of the apartment and getting hit with this wall of moisture. whoo! #washingtonianinjersey #endoftangent

Thursday was another stormy day. and our walking day... hahahahahahaha. yes. we totally walked... then got stuck in Passaic under some scaffolding/overhang while there were two rivers on the cross streets and a lake on the main street. it was nuts- reminded me of the 2007 storm, and that has happened 2-3 times since i've been here. thankfully the member we were trying to visit picked us up and drove us home. While under that overhang, we - well, Sister Shiman - taught a lesson to the guy that was stuck with us. I had taken out my hearing aids and hid them deep in my bag so they wouldn't get wet. #hearingaidproblems

Friday we visited with a few people, and then most of our zone met up and went to see fireworks in Clifton. It was pretty fun- the fireworks were great!  Saturday we had a meeting and tried to visit some people, did some contacting, and we end up contacting this super solid guy! We had a good conversation with him, and he invited us for Sunday dinner. Something came up for him so we couldn't make the appt, but we hope to continue working with him!  #contactingmiracles

Sunday was incredible! We had an AMAZING fast and testimony meeting. the spirit was incredible and there were a lot of people who shared their testimonies- most of the missionaries and a good portion of the branch shared as well. It was incredible to feel the spirit in that little branch that day. Sister Shiman and I also got to teach Young Women! it was a really good lesson- the spirit definitely guided and made it powerful. I hope that those young women were able to get something from it. There was a baptism after church for a little girl, 8 years old! She was so cute, and it was great to see the turn out. (I also sang in the musical number whaaaaaaaaat) After church we went and visted the family we had tried to see on thursday, and I cooked dinner for them! The first time i met them, we were at their home for a BBQ and asked us to bring cake, so I made Aunt Thelma's cake. They liked it, and their son, who has been going through some tough medical stuff, really liked it and said it was his. They figured out I cooked so they said I could come over and cook for them whenever I want, hahaha. Last night I made slomgoliam for them, and they enjoyed it as well! We finished out the night by visiting our awesome family from earlier in the week, and arranging for the priesthood to give the mom a blessing. I am so grateful for the priesthood! I am also grateful I serve around incredible men who honor their priesthood and are always ready and prepared to minister.

I hope everyone has a good week!
Love always,
Sister Richmond

PS. oh man- I almost forgot the third part of my title- getting eaten alive. I am covered in bug bites! I got a TON towards the end of this week, and they are all over my foot and leg- right where my shoe and sock rub, of COURSE! (: I literally had to sit on my hands last night during planning so I wouldn't scratch. So. that is a fun adventure. one disadvantage of wearing skirts all the time... my legs are always exposed. it is cooler, I imagine, than wearing slacks all the time, so I won't complain too much. #missionaryproblems

PPS also- i don't know about the hashtags. I love coming up with them, so you get hashtags today haha. Ive had several zones where we describe our area/companionship/whatever with a hashtag... a couple we had in sparta were:
#spartaswag #contactingthedeer #watchforbears
and the main hashtag for Jersey City/Secaucus was #JCmentality. haha. we had a gang sign too. it was great.
Don't quite have one for Rutherford/Paterson yet. our signature on our phone is a hashtag, of course. #richMANshiMAN :D

there- random goofy mission things. We also went rain dancing this week. or maybe last week. I don't remember. (:
love yous!

she sent this pictures of her zone at the fireworks in a separate email - 

No comments:

Post a Comment