Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week 6: Transfers, contacting in Spanish, and the slowest accident on earth!

Hello everyone!
As far as transfer updates (transfer conference is in just a couple hours! so exciting!) I am staying in Secaucus with Sister Pack for another 6 weeks! There's lots of buzz because they are splitting our zone, so that's been kinda fun, and I'm excited to see where that goes. Everyone serving in our ward is staying, so I'm excited to get to know those sisters and elders more!
Also- I think Elder Welch just arrived in the mission field- he's one of 18 that are coming in this transfer. I'll probably see him eventually! Our mission is at capacity now, so that's kinda cool! 
 I don't know if I mentioned our zone goal or not- but one of the goals is for the whole zone to contact 2014 people for the whole month. Last week, we contacted 85 people! It was crazy. 32 of those were in ONE DAY. It was really cool. Every card we pass out- or try to- is a seed that we plant, so we've done a lot of planting! We have a lot of hispanic people in our area- to the point that I think there are more spanish wards than english ones- so we learned a little bit of Spanish this week! We (well, Sister Pack. I didn't really care either way but I learned it to. I've yet to actually contact anyone in Spanish, haha) learned how to say "Can I give you this card about the Book of Mormon?" I've heard "Puedo darle una tarjeta del Libro de Mormon" about a million times this week, as we've practiced it over and over to try and say it right. 
This week we've been snowed on a couple times as well- Speaking of the weather! IT IS SO SNOWY HERE!!! Sister Pack and I finally figured out a pattern! It snows for 1 or 2 days, cloudy for a day, sunny for a day, then snows again. It snowed last night as well. There's snow everywhere. It's the worst winter here in like 30 years. We've finally dug out a spot on our street and claimed it with a garbage can, so we don't have to hunt for parking every night. We are pretty tired of the snow, because every time it snows there's a driving ban, which makes it hard to get to the other cities in our area. We've walked all over Secaucus, and it's isolated from the other cities we cover. We've finally decided to try using the bus system, which is really complicated, to try and make it over there more. Tonight, we are taking a 3 bus connection to an appt in Weehawken. WHOO!
 Yesterday, we drove around Hoboken a little bit- we were going to do some shopping but we ran out of time, and there wasn't any parking anyway. I did see Carlos' Cake Shop, so, there ya go, Sister Byron. and all of you Cake Boss fans out there! I've seen it. There was a line of people outside, it was pretty funny.
 We also saw the slowest accident ever- it was so sad. We were stuck in traffic, and a big semi in the lane next to us starts going backwards. Horns are going crazy- everyone is blaring, and the car behind the truck tries to back up as far as it can, and the truck kind of stopped and we thought it was going to be okay, then the truck kept going and hit the car and gouged its hood and headlight or something. Sister Pack and I felt so bad, because it was just the slowest, most preventable accident ever.
I will include some pictures this time! yay! (I'll probably send them in following emails, so I can explain them and stuff)
I hope everything is going great! Love you bunches! Miss you all!
Love always, 
Sister Richmond

New York Skyline!! So cool to see it all the time!
MY DISTRICT! Left to right: Sister Dotson, Sister Porter, Sister Pack, Sister Richmond
Elder Rodeback, Elder Bell, Elder Marchant, and Elder Beard
This is on the top floor of the parking garage for the church. 8 stories up!
We all serve in the same ward, so it's been awesome to get to know these people. they are GREAT! (And I'm not that much taller than everyone, I promise. I don't know why the picture makes it look that way.) ((also, new blazer I got from Sister Burt- she had a bag of clothes for people to dig through, so I got that blazer and a tan London Fog trench coat, if it ever gets warm enough to need just a trench coat, hahahaha)) (((also also, ignore the wierd line/reflection at the bottom of the picture- we did timers on top of the Elders' car. ha. )))
This is out of our window. that building behind the car probably has 6 or so inches of snow on top of it now. Sorry the screen's in the way. Doh!



No comments:

Post a Comment